If you want to reset and reinstall Windows 10. But every time when you go to Settings–>Update & Security–>Recovery–>Reset, it says “There was a problem resetting your PC,” then this happened because one of the following reasons – As stated by the Microsoft.
- The computer that has received this error had Windows 10 Preinstalled that was not updated from Windows 8 to 10.
- A recovery drive was created by you by using the ‘Create a recovery drive’ feature in Windows 10.
- In order to reduce the disk space your PC manufacturer compressed the preinstalled applications.
Now you know what caused this issue but now its time to solve this error. We will help you to easily solve this error by yourself (Even if you’re not so much familiar with computer system) There are a few fixes that you can use to solve if one fix doesn’t work out.
There was a problem resetting your PC
Fix#1 Scan For Corrupted System Files
If your system files are corrupted or faulty then it can lead to this error; if this is the case then this error can be solved by simply checking your system files. If you do not how you can do that then follow the instructions given below-
- Hold down the Shift button and then Restart your PC
- After that click on Troubleshoot followed by Advanced options and Command Prompt to start scanning the system files.
- The next page will ask you to select the account so select the administrator account and after selecting you will be required to enter the password of your administrator account.
- After doing so, wait for a few seconds until the command prompt appears. After command window pop-ups, type in the command written below, and hit the enter.
ren system system.001
ren software software.001
- After the scan has completed, restart your computer and then try reset it in order to check that if the error is still present.
If it is then that is not a problem as there is one more trick in the bag.
Fix #2 Recover Your Windows
There are cases when this error occurs due to corruption in the Windows System. So one way to execute this error by Recovering your Windows using a USB Recovery.
If you don’t how you cab recover the windows using a USB recovery then follow the steps given below-
- Take an empty USB Flash Drive, it is recommended if it is of 16 GB and then insert it into your computer.
- Now open the Start Menu and then search for Create a Recovery Drive from and then select the same in the search results.
- Now you will see a new dialogue box, it will have an option stating Back up system files to the recovery drive, tick this option then click on the ‘Next’ button.
- After that, a new dialogue box will appear in which you will have to select your USB flash drive, and after selecting the Flash Drive, hit next.
- Now in the final Window click on ‘Create’.
- After that click on ‘Finish’ to finish the creation of back up.
- Now reboot Windows 10, just like before “by holding down Shift key while pressing the Restart button.“
- Press the key that stated above in the page(Usually F12) to recover the computer, now a new set of options will appear.
- There you will have to click on Recovery from a drive to complete the installation process by following the steps that will be given on the screen.
Wrapping it up!
If our tutorial helped to solve this “There was a problem resetting your PC.” then let us know in the comment section. Also, if you didn’t understand any step let us know -we will get back to you ASAP!